The BCMH is the British branch of the International Commission for Maritime History, which was founded in 1965 as a constituent of the International Congress of Historical Sciences, a body affiliated to UNESCO.
- to enhance maritime history
- to encourage contact between all those who share an interest in maritime history, whether professional or personal
- to encourage young and new students to embrace maritime history
- to provide an information network to assist maritime historians
- to improve the quality of writing and debate in maritime history.
- organising an open seminar series at King’s College London each academic year
- sponsoring an annual New Researchers Conference open to all engaged in maritime research
- ensuring that everyone attending these meetings will find a friendly and supportive atmosphere
- offering a national maritime history prize for undergraduates who have achieved a first–class mark for their dissertations, as well as prizes for MA students and PhD students who have produced outstanding research
- supporting conferences and workshops in conjunction with other national commissions and maritime institutions
- offering limited bursaries for a scholars to attend conferences.
BCMH is a charitable trust.